Looking for Customer Service & Support

IMPORTANT: This is a Community Forum. Answers are given by the community. If you are a Customer, please, Open New Issue to get access to the support service.

Customer Support is only provided through our ticketing system https://support.extly.com/. If you do not have a paid membership, please create a new topic in the community forum.

Pre Sales Questions - AutoTweet

More
2 years 3 months ago #9543 by Daniel
Daniel created the topic: Pre Sales Questions - AutoTweet
Hi there,

I am interested in autoposting to social networks from my Joomla website and I find your products quite interesting. However, after reviewing your documentation, I am not quite sure they fit my use case. I'd appreciate if you could comment/guide me about it.

What I'm trying to achieve is complete automation so no manual intervention is desired. I use K2 articles to represent future events (the “created” date in the k2_items database is a future date and represents the date the event starts ). I would like that every time a new K2 article is created several posts get scheduled for future posting in social networks as follows: a post will be published on social networks 6 months before the start date of the event, another one 5 months in advance and so on until one month before the event. Then the posting frequency will increase to 4 weeks prior to the event, 3 weeks,etc up to the event date when there will be a last post. So, if the event is created more than 6 months in advance to the start date then there would be 11 post to be scheduled to be published in the future and one post to sent immediately upon event creation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but what I understand from your documentation is that your content plugins only create one request when the article is created, right?

I don't use the native K2 article creation form, but in my bespoke K2 article creation form I do fire the “onafterK2save” event after storing the new article in the database. However I think this only helps to the post to be sent upon article creation. But to schedule the future posts I think I need to insert directly the post requests into the requests database directly when processing my form, right?

Question 1: If I insert 11 future requests into the request database will then AutoTweet process them as normal (rules applied, etc)?

Question 2: Is it better to do the inserts directly with Joomla JDatabase or should I use your API better?

Question 3: On AutotweetAPI::insertRequest, does the $now variable represent the date when the post will be published?

Question 4: The product I need is AutoTweet Pro since I need cronjob support in order to process the requests scheduled for the future automatically, correct?

I hope you can clarify my doubts and sorry for the long post

Kind regards

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #9545 by Support Team
Support Team replied the topic: Pre Sales Questions - AutoTweet
Hi Daniel,

Thank you in advance for your feedback. You have achieved an excellent grasp on how current scheduling model works.

You are looking for a way to specify a common and complex scheduling for all events.

On the other hand, current scheduling model allows to manually specify an agenda or a repeat frequency for a request.

Question 1: If I insert 11 future requests into the request database will then AutoTweet process them as normal (rules applied, etc)?

We have never worked with this model. Until now, AutoTweet Joocial has always worked with one request (an object with scheduling definitions: agenda or repeats). Several validations may prevent the insertion of multiple requests.

Question 2: Is it better to do the inserts directly with Joomla JDatabase or should I use your API better?

It is better to insert via API. In this way, you follow the same convention than the rest of clients.

Question 3: On AutotweetAPI::insertRequest, does the $now variable represent the date when the post will be published?

Yes, the first publication date.

Question 4: The product I need is AutoTweet Pro since I need cronjob support in order to process the requests scheduled for the future automatically, correct?

Yes, AutoTweetNG PRO or Joocial. Particularly, Joocial has the advanced scheduling features. For instance, Post Manager integrated with articles, to define agendas and repeats.

Our recommendation to your case: you can develop a routine to calculate and force an agenda to all events via AutoTweet-K2 plugin. Starting from our AutoTweet-K2 plugin, you can create a modified version to implement the "Events Agenda" with the 11 dates. In this way, you can control and extend the current scheduling model and we can support the extension in the same way than other third-party pugins.

Please feel free to reach out to us should you require any further assistance.

Best Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel

More
2 years 3 months ago #9546 by Daniel
Daniel replied the topic: Pre Sales Questions - AutoTweet
Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it.

I like what you propose, however I have one further question. Considering I would be working from a single request with multiple dates in the agenda, how could I tweak the text that is published at the different dates marked in the agenda? For example, in the first publication I would add to the post text “6 months left!”, then on the next publication I would add to the text “5 months left!” and so forth. Is this doable via rules? Or maybe I can add some identifier to each of the agenda entries so then the rules can recognise it?

I think Joocial is the answer for me in any case since I like the evergreen feature and I am considering allowing front end users to schedule their own posts. However, coming back to my auto scheduling requirement, wouldn't it be simpler to add multiple requests via the API with different publishing times and different text (according to what I just described) ? And the validations that you mentioned, could they be disabled?

Thanks again, and sorry to be a pain

Kind regards,
Daniel

More
2 years 3 months ago #9547 by Support Team
Hi,

If you are looking for a way to publish different posts, you can insert more than one post (with different IDs) and simply define the publishing date for each instance.

In this case, you can create the plugin to manage the relationship between a K2 article and the associated posts. You can insert posts with IDs like 99-D1, 99-D2, 99-D3... etc. From Joocial, there is no restriction to have posts wih different IDs and messages. This scenario has the additional benefit that the plugin inserts regular requests/posts, and each one could have its own agenda/repeats.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel

More
2 years 3 months ago #9569 by Daniel
Daniel replied the topic: Pre Sales Questions - AutoTweet
Ok, that helps, many thanks.

Please correct me if my thinking is going the wrong way, but from what you tell me I think I would be looking to do the following:

The k2 plug-in is processed when the “onafterK2save” event is triggered, correct? When triggering this event there is a variable $isNew that tells me whether it is a new article or an edit of an existing one, so looking at this variable I could insert the routine you mentioned for new articles only and let the plug-in behave normally for edits since I'm only interested in applying this multi-post routine when a new K2 article is created. Would you agree?

My next question would be, what could I do with k2 articles that are already created and that need the multiple posts created? I don't want to lose the edit features of the K2 plug-in and I have a few hundred articles. What would be your recommendation?

Ah! something different. I don't have much experience in facebook and I would like to borrow your brains about something if you don't mind. I'm looking to publish automatically from Joocial into my own facebook group (I'm the admin) via my own facebook app. In my facebook group I only allow admins to post, do you envisage any issues in the set-up I just described?

Thanks a million

More
2 years 3 months ago #9570 by Support Team
Hi Daniel,

You are in the right way and your analysis is sound.

About modifications, let say you change the image, the modified will have to follow the current execution path. In your case, you can call the same API, but more times, one for each custom message.

According to our experience, your modification will work OK to adapt K2 plugin to your requirements. In any case, we can support your work. Please, feel free to us a ticket to contact tech team and follow this thread: support.extly.com

Finally, Joocial supports Facebook Groups channel and your usage case is included in the most common scenarios.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or how we can help in any way.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Join the Club!

Access and support services to all Extly's extensions for 1-Year. The Extly Club is your source for all of our extensions.

Join Now