Looking for Customer Service & Support

IMPORTANT: This is a Community Forum. Answers are given by the community. If you are a Customer, please, Open New Issue to get access to the support service.

Customer Support is only provided through our ticketing system https://support.extly.com/. If you do not have a paid membership, please create a new topic in the community forum.

XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10321 by App 'n' Web
App 'n' Web created the topic: XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images
Hi,

We recently gave a try at Adapive images on one of our testing Joomla website in order to solve the problem of serving scaled images and support retina. The result we are getting with it actually are strange, images being effectively resized but in most cases not at the right size, or at least not at the one we got here : viewportsizes.com/mine/ for the viewports of the devices tested.

Do you think it's a problem we would also have with XT adaptive images or is it really different than manually implementing Adaptive images ?

And if it's really different, could you please explain us what's the difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10322 by Support Team
Support Team replied the topic: XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images
Hi, Thanks for contacting us!

You shouldn't find any difference since XT Adaptive images Pro is a direct implementation.

Generally, Adaptive images script looks for reducing the image size and the need of scaling a big image. However, it is not possible to exactly match the rendered box.

Additionally, to support the case of a user rotating the device, the resolution is defined as max(screen.width,screen.height).

Please let us know if you have any further questions or if we can help in any way.

Best regards,

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10323 by App 'n' Web
App 'n' Web replied the topic: XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images
Thanks for your answer.

I understand perfectly that it can't match the exact size of the rendered box but actually it does not either match the viewport size.

For example on my desktop PC which has a viewport of 1536 x 710, it serves images of 1280 px width, meaning that those being displayed full screen on the website have to be scaled up by CSS to reach the viewport, increasing of course the blur effect.

I also noticed that the sharpen function completely change images colors instead of just sharpening them so we can't even use it to help on that point.

Did you notice the same problems on your side ?

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10324 by Support Team
Support Team replied the topic: XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images
Hi,

If you have a viewport of 1536 x 710, then images have to be of 1280 px width to support the case of a rotation. (The browser does not reload a page when it is rotated, and it displays the images served originally in a different page width).

We have no issues (or received reports) about sharpening issues. The Sharpen function (imageconvolution) relies on your GD library implementation of your server. So, your issue could be caused by a local configuration. You can disable the Sharpen feature in the configuration settings.

Best Regards,

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #10325 by App 'n' Web
App 'n' Web replied the topic: XT Adaptive images Pro VS direct implementation of adaptive images
Thanks you for the precisions.

I do not really understand the point in resizing images lower in order to support rotation. Correct CSS rules should be able to care for rotation and images should be in my opinion resized to the biggest possible width of the viewport in order to avoid them being scaled up by CSS if used in full screen.

And if rotation is really the reason of the lower size, it should then be 710 px large in my example not 1280 px that is larger than the rotated device width, no ?

Anyway your answers brings a new point of view as I was thinking the size problem was coming from a bug or an incorrect guess of the viewport size. I really did not think it was wanted.

Are you absolutely sure it's a normal behaviour and if it is, do you know how the size is calculated.

I noticed during my tests that for a viewport of 1536 x 710, images were 1280 px wide and for a viewport of 1884 x 802, they wers 1536 px wide. I do not find the rule they follow :(
Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by App 'n' Web.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10332 by Support Team
Hi,

You have precisely diagnosed your case. We recommend you reading the code of the extension. It is well documented and it can better answer you how it works.

Best regards,

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
Join the Club!

Access and support services to all Extly's extensions for 1-Year. The Extly Club is your source for all of our extensions.

Join Now