Looking for Customer Service & Support

IMPORTANT: This is a Community Forum. Answers are given by the community. If you are a Customer, please, Open New Issue to get access to the support service.

Customer Support is only provided through our ticketing system https://support.extly.com/. If you do not have a paid membership, please create a new topic in the community forum.

Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)

More
1 week 4 days ago #10776 by Emiel
Emiel created the topic: Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)
Hello.

I can't figure out the proper setting for the autotweet Joomla content plugin. Or, as I suspect, the setting I require is simply not available.

First of: Process Modifications, is switched OFF.
For me a modification to an article is only fixing a typo for example. I and I don't want to spam my social networks with duplicate posts.

Now in my situation not all items are being added to the request que for posting.

Situation 1) I create a new Joomla article. Add all content at once. And when I am finsihed I save and publish the item at the same time. In this case, the item is added to the request que, all is fine!

Situation 2) I create a new Joomla article, I add content, but for some reason I can't finish it right away (or, just to be sure not to loose my hard work, I save the item a couple of times before publishing it). In any case, I save the item without publishing it. The item of course is not added to the que. Some time later (one minute or one day, whatever it is) I finish the item. Save the changes and publish it. In this situation the item is not added to the request que. However, for my website (and also for autotweet) it is a new item. And therefore should be added to the que automatically by the autotweet content plugin.
I also can't trigger an event, for example with a radio button in the article, to add it to the que manually. So this new item will never be posted on my social networks :(

How can I fix this issue please?
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #10777 by Support Team
Support Team replied the topic: Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)
Hi, Thanks for reaching out!

Please, check this FAQ where we have detailed how to decide when a Post must be published: www.extly.com/docs/autotweetng_joocial/i...hed-on-facebook-wall

Best Regards,

More
1 week 3 days ago #10778 by Emiel
Emiel replied the topic: Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)
Hi.

Thank you for your reply.
The explanation under the link, basically explains the working of the queing proccess. Which confirms what I had mentioned prior to my question.

Conclusion: The behaviour I wish is not currently supported / possible within the plugin.
I gues I will have to tell my publishers to not save the item intermidiate. But only save at the moment of publishing. Otherwise it won't be posted on Social networks.

It is a little strange beaviour of the plugin though. Not as I expected.
Shouldn't the plugin que up items at the time an item is being published?
What if I create a new article and set it up to be published in two weeks (a standard Joomla article option)?
Your plugin would consider that under post-modified-item...
However, for the website and anyone else, it is concidered a new item.
What I am trying to say is: The logic would be that the plugin "interpretates" new articles in the same way as human readers would.

I would like to suggest to add another option to the settings of 'publish modifications'. Example: ' Don't alow duplicate posts'.
(Thus, only items where the published state has changed to published). This would retain backward compatibilty for all other users of the plugin, where the current behaviour of the queing process doesn't change. But woudl allow for users to chooce if the want delayed-published-articles to automatically be tweeted as well, but not allow resposting of older articles that are modified.

Best regards, Emiel.

More
1 week 3 days ago #10779 by Support Team
Support Team replied the topic: Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)
Hi,

You are following a good reasoning. We have considered these cases, these are some arguments for each observation:

- The extension implements a simple event detection to implement it on all the integrated extensions. So, the NEW and MODIFIED events are generally supported for all extensions.
- The transitions from Unpublished to Published implies that the MODIFIED events (After Save) are enabled and the plugin can detect the state transition change... so the plugin should have a way to know what was the previous state. Most extensions only inform the event (Save) and do not provide detailed information of what changed.
-Some extensions have the PUBLISHED event (Change State), so it is easier to detect the transition. However, the transition can happen multiple times. For instance, an author publishes the article, unpublishes it to correct/add more information and finally publishes it again. So, this PUBLISHED event works exactly as a MODIFIED event. So, to keep the model simple, the plugins manage state transitions as modifications.

To solve all of these cases, we have implemented Joocial's Post This as a way to manually define if a Post must be published or not, and the default behaviour of Post This, yes or no can also be customized. At the end of the day, only the author knows if it must be published or not; and there is no way to know it automatically.

About the Duplication check: there is already a validation that checks posts in Time interval (4 hours). You can extend it in the Advanced configuration.

Best regards,

More
1 week 3 days ago #10780 by Emiel
Emiel replied the topic: Not all new items are added to the request que (empty que or duplicate posts)
Hello again.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I can understand the decicion in the event behaviour. It's not only to keep things simple, but in coding you can never really concider all possible outcomes and user interactions.

Do I understand the following correctly?:::
Let's say I enable post-modifications...
And I set the duplication check to 2160 hours (if I didn't modify an article within 90 days, it usually will never be modified again)...
Then the following will happen:
An article that has already been posted in the past 90 days will not be posted again, regardless of modifcations (saves and states)...
However an article that has it's state changed from unpublished to published and has not been posted before, will be added to the que for posting?

Regards, Emiel.

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #10788 by Emiel

Support Team wrote: About the Duplication check: there is already a validation that checks posts in Time interval (4 hours). You can extend it in the Advanced configuration.

I have tested this. But it does not seem to give me the required outcome. The same item is still added to the que within a day if "modified".

For me it would be great and actually required to have one extra option in the plugins settings tab: Posting filter.
After: Process Changes on Published State.
Something like: Only Process New Articles (only items that have not been processed before and thus have never been autotweeted before. to make sure earlier saved but not published before items will be autotweeted. and to prefend duplicate posts of the same item after changes will be saved)

update: this will also enforce the most basic Joomla funtion of publishing an item on a future date. which to me, seems more than logical for a Joomla plugin to be compatble with basic Joomla functionality, rather than third party extensions. :)

Many thanks and regards, Emiel.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Emiel.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Join the Club!

Access and support services to all Extly's extensions for 1-Year. The Extly Club is your source for all of our extensions.

Join Now